If you need immediate help for after abortion support call the 24-hour National Helpline at 1-800-712-4357.
- 64% of women having abortions said they felt pressured to abort
- 84% said they were not fully informed
- 52% felt rushed and 54% were uncertain beforehand
- 67% received no counseling beforehand
- 79% were not informed about alternatives
Statistics also show that 1 of 4 American women will have had an abortion by the age of 45. It’s a silent secret that is affecting not only the hearts of the women who have had an abortion, but also the hearts of the boyfriends, spouses, friends and families involved, directly or indirectly.
Citations 1.VM Rue et. al.,“Induced abortion and traumatic stress: A preliminary comparison of American and Russian women,” Medical Science Monitor 10(10): SR5-16 (2004).
Is Life the Same?
Millions of women believe that abortion is the answer to their unplanned pregnancy. They are often advised that if they have the termination procedure, they will never have to think about the pregnancy again and will be able to continue their lives as normal. However, if you have personally been involved in an abortion experience, you likely know this to be false. Ironically, as you attempted to dispose of your “crisis” or “problem”, you likely gained an entirely new host of problems after your abortion.
There are many negative emotions and often physical symptoms that are experienced after the abortion (whether it is immediately, weeks, months, or years later) and often women do not know how to process through them.
Many women have reported the following symptoms after an abortion:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Self-destructive activities (alcohol/drug abuse, eating disorders)
- Difficulty in maintaining or developing relationships
- Difficulty sleeping, insomnia, and/or nightmares
- Emotional deadening, feeling less in touch with or a need to stuff emotions
- Triggered by pregnant women, babies, children, and baby showers.
- Increase in anger or rage.
- Fear of future relationships and pregnancy.
- Difficulties with intimacy and trust
(Taken from The Post Abortion Review [Fall 1994], published by the Elliott Institute, Springfield, Il)
More information on the effects of abortion
Post Abortion Support Groups for Men & Women
“Abortion touches a person’s life on many levels. It impacts one’s views of oneself in medical, political, religious, philosophical, social, and familial ways. This is why it is exceptionally difficult for people to understand, process, and reconcile this experience with who they are and who they want to be.” -Dr. Theresa Burke
To have another person understand and validate the pain of a pregnancy termination is important and helps you move towards health and healing. Many men and women report regret and pain after abortion and need help. Allow us to be with you in this important time and help guide you through healing. All groups have a book to help lead through regret, anger, unforgiveness, and grief.
For more information or to register for an upcoming women’s abortion recovery group contact Melissa and Janice at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 740.327.0601
For more information or to register for the upcoming post abortion men’s group contact Craig at email@example.com