Where Do I Begin?
Are you feeling overwhelmed by unplanned pregnancy? You may even feel a bit out of control. Thinking of what’s ahead with your partner can seem challenging, but you are not alone.
Many men ask themselves common questions when deciding how to move forward with the pregnancy news, including…
- What do we do now?
- Can I financially support a child?
- Is the baby really mine?
- How do we tell our parents?
- What about adoption, abortion, or parenting?
- What does she expect from me?
Processing The News
It’s important to first process the news of unintended pregnancy on your own before seeking to support your partner in her decision moving forward. Talk it out with someone you trust and can confide in. Your partner needs you fully present during this time, especially as she navigates through her pregnancy decision.
Quick Advice For You
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. There are now three lives to think about.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, your baby needs you too.
- Talk about it—not only with each other but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
- Express yourself honestly – it’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration, and fear, but make sure she knows she is not alone.
- Don’t bail. The more you hide from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, possibly into a regretful situation. You will do well working together as a team.
- Don’t forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as give your thoughts.
Your First Steps
- Making sure that she is pregnant is important. Schedule an appointment for a medical-grade pregnancy test and do your best to attend the appointment with her. If she is pregnant it will impact both of you. During the appointment, you will receive information about your options.
- If she is pregnant she will need to schedule an ultrasound to confirm that it is a viable pregnancy. You should show your support and attend this appointment as well even if it means rearranging plans/work schedules.
- Gather all the facts. Get all the information so you can make the best decision for both of you.
We have male consultants available to meet with you one on one.
Learn about all your pregnancy options after verifying your partner’s pregnancy result. You have options when it comes to your pregnancy. Discuss these with your partner and someone you trust. Our team at Heartbeats can help you navigate all your questions about each option.
Find support during this time and get clarity for you and your partner. Schedule an appointment today to learn what’s next in this pregnancy journey. We are here to help.